Landlord Building Insurance

Landlord insurance

Whether you’re a first-time landlord renting out a single residential property or you’re well-established with a large portfolio of commercial properties.

Protection for you and your property

As a residential or commercial landlord, you’ll be aware of your liabilities and responsibilities. But do you know how effectively you’re covered if things go wrong?

What if tenants fail to pay or you lose income because damage to your property means it can’t be occupied? Are you insured against things you can’t control, such as flooding or storm damage? Not forgetting incidents that you could be legally liable for, such as trips and slips, faulty wiring or damage to tenants’ property.

We understand that your property is your income and investment, so we’ll offer you comprehensive and cost-effective insurance solutions to cover you and your assets.


Talk to our experts

You certainly don’t want to pay for more than you need, but on the other hand you don’t want to risk leaving your business exposed.

Don’t worry: our advisors will make sure they understand your business, explain your choices and suggest cover that’s both appropriate and at our most competitive price.

Call our insurance team: 0845 835 4285
Minicom: 0800 051 3030

Lines are open: Mon to Fri 9am to 7pm (excluding public holidays). Calls may be recorded.  Max call charge from a BT landline is 8p plus up to 8p per minute.  Business rates and calls from other networks may vary.

Or request a call back and we'll call you at a time that's convenient to you.

Industry sectors

Please select your industry

Not sure which industry your business fits into?

View all industries

For specific advice,
call 0845 835 4285
minicom 0800 051 3030

  1. Why insure my business?
      • Legal obligation – the law requires you to have some types of insurance, for example employers’ liability insurance.
      • Your customers – some customers will insist you have certain types of insurance in place.  
      • Loans – many lenders will not consider your application for finance unless your business is insured.
      • Safeguarding your cashflow – if it’s not covered by insurance, the cost of an accident or other unexpected event can seriously affect your finances.
      • Safeguarding your business – effective insurance cover reassures you and your customers that your business can carry on, despite an incident or accident.
  2. What basic business insurance cover do I need?
    1. This is dictated by your type of business, but as a guide this is what you might expect to have:

      • Employers’ Liability Insurance  – legally required in case an employee claims against your business for accident or injury while working for you.
      • Motor insurance – a legal requirement if you use motor vehicles for your business.
      • Professional indemnity insurance – usually required by professionals such as lawyers, financial advisors and accountants, and by some trade organisations and unions. Covers against liability for negligence, which results in your customers suffering losses.
  3. Any other covers I should consider?
    1. You’ll find a great choice of practical and highly recommended policies at RBS Business Insurance

      • Building and contents – safeguards the building where you work, and its contents
      • Public liability – covers you for any damage you might cause when you’re at your customers’ premises, and for injuries to your customers when they’re at your premises.
      • Business interruption/continuity – if your business temporarily stops because of fire, flood or other incidents, this insurance covers your lost profits and key recovery costs.
      • Legal expenses – covers potentially expensive legal costs if you have to deal with tax enquiries, employee disputes and tribunals.
      • Other insurance – we can also protect many items and events, such as goods in transit, equipment failure, and petty cash.

Available cover

  • Public and property
    owners' liability
  • Products liability
  • Buildings
  • Subsidence
  • Accidental damage
  • Contents
  • Glass
  • Employers' liability